Showing posts tagged as "startup calgary"
We couldn’t be happier for our friends at Startup Calgary as they launch their new strategic vision!
Now “Focused on the Start,” Startup Calgary will be targeting programs, projects and events that work towards:
- Sparking people’s ideas for building their own startup
- Getting people actively working on building their startup idea
- Assisting these “pre-startups” in getting the tools, resources, mentorship, funding and customers required to make the leap into being a full-time startup
One of those exciting initiatives is Startup Calgary Hack Nights. Every Tuesday evening from 5:00 to 10:00 pm, AcceleratorYYC will become your weekly gathering point to connect, learn and most importantly, build your startup.
Startup Calgary Hack Nights include:
- Full access to the entire Startup Calgary team alongside drop in mentorship, investor advice, free resources and general support as you build your startup
- Hack Nights includes full access to desks, power outlets, boardrooms, whiteboards, meeting space, wifi and most importantly, free beer and Red Bull!
Startup Calgary is currently looking for those who:
- Have an idea for a startup
- Are actively working to get a startup off the ground
- Are looking to work in a startup either as a student volunteer, intern or full time employee. We seriously love students so don’t be shy and come on out!
- Have the ability and experience to mentor, support or fund startups
There’s no need to register for Hack Nights but if you have any questions or would like to chat more, contact Sean Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jason Zeiler (email@example.com) for more details.
At AcceleratorYYC, we look forward to working with Startup Calgary and be a part of this new exciting vision and Hack Night initiative. Let’s work together to help our startup community grow!
The 2012 Startup Calgary Launch Party, the startup event of the year, took place last night and it was a smashing success!
Ten local startups pitched their hearts out to a select group of VIPs before the startup community arrived. Two of our close friends at AcceleratorYYC were selected for this great opportunity: Jeff Doepker, Founder of FastCab and Pieter Boekhoff, COO of POSH View.
In the end, FastCab pitched as a top 3 finalist for the live audience and ended up winning both the “Startup Most Likely to Make a Splash in Silicon Valley” (with 3 free months at the Plug and Play centre in the Valley) and the big A100 “One to Watch” award. We are so proud!
POSH View was awarded the “Venture Most Likely to Leverage Technology for Commercial Success,” from TR Tech.
AcceleratorYYC also had the opportunity to present the “Most Bootstrapped Venture” to TinyPlots (Justin, Jordan, Garratt and Benny). TinyPlots (@TinyPlots) is a mobile solution that makes food growing simple for casual and commercial growers alike. On winning this award, Jordan Brown, Co-founder says:
I know that the proximity to other talented folks in a co-working environment will foster our ability to remain focused yet adaptive. Similarly, a dedicated space in Inglewood will leverage our goal of having TinyPlots be a contributing placemaker for interested gardeners, foodies and techies.
We look forward to connecting with all of the startups and community partners that we met at this great event at the Post “Launch Party” Drinks next Wednesday, November 21. You can RSVP here or just simply show up at Melrose Bar at 6:00 pm.
Check out our photos on our Facebook page! Hint: A prominent member in the tech community even gets caught “photo-bombing!”
Apply Now To Get The Exposure You Need!
Startup Calgary Launch Party is set for Wednesday November 14, 2012, and we want to put YOUR startup in the spotlight! Whether it be investors, customers, board members or staff, we are set on helping you find what you need to succeed. We do so by bringing in a huge group of individuals with vastly diverse backgrounds to experience your startup and enjoy the night together!
The rules are simple to apply! Your startup must:
- be no more than two years old
- earn less than 2 million in revenue per year
- have a product on the market or is close to having a product on the market (so we can show it off)
- be in information, communication or media technology, cleantech or health sciences
- be based out of Calgary, AB or surrounding area
If this sounds like your startup, you need to apply! Just fill out this form today! Tell us about you, what you’ve built and how you’re going to take the tech world by storm!
The 10 best companies that apply will be voted on by a committee of advisors, investors and experts. Those top 10 will have the opportunity to pitch to an esteemed panel of judges and peers for feedback during the pitch prep sessions. Then it’s off to pitch to the Startup Calgary VIP’s – a who’s who of investors, media and mentors. If that wasn’t enough, the top 3 of three of the chosen 10 companies will be showcased to the public on the big stage – the Launch Party. It’s a whirlwind of great experiences for any tech startup who is serious about making things happen!
The Startup Calgary Team
Content provided by Startup Calgary